Fort Stanton Stables, Lincoln County, New Mexico
Established in 1855, Fort Stanton in Lincoln County, New Mexico is the only remaining fort still intact that was built before the Civil War. The fort was originally constructed as a US Army base and was used until 1896. Henceforth, the fort has served as a Merchant Marine tuberculosis hospital, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp and World War II German internment center.
The Fort Stanton Historical District is on the State Register of Cultural Properties and the National Register of Historic Places.
On the grounds of the Fort Stanton District are historic stables. Cornerstones conducted a structural conditions assessment and is in a the process of developing a stablization and preservation plan for the conservation of the stables.