Nuestra Señora de la Luz, Cañoncito del Apache
Apache Canyon is close to the path of the Santa Fe Trail, about twelve miles south of Santa Fe. Built in the mid-1880’s, the building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Its image is familiar to New Mexicans as the subject of paintings and photographs by generations of Santa Fe artists. The parishioners’ abiding love for their church is clearly shown in the care with which they maintain the graves of their antepasados in the churchyard and their enthusiastic attention to the building’s maintenance.
In recent years, the community has completed extensive repair on the structure. Most notably, during two workdays in May 1998, the building was stripped of its cement-based plaster on the recommendation of Cornerstones. The community then hosted TICAL II - Taller International de la Cal II, or Second International Lime Plastering Workshop. This workshop was the product of a collaboration between Cornerstones, the National Park Service, and INAH and ISAD, Mexican agencies in charge of the preservation of Mexico’s national patrimony. The community scheduled workdays to re-coat the building with lime plaster.